Alan Shearer’s documentary ‘Football, Dementia and Me’

Alan Shearer’s documentary ‘Football, Dementia and Me’

Many of you will have seen Alan Shearer’s documentary ‘Football, Dementia and Me’ on BBC One this Sunday.  Dementia is seemingly prevalent in retired footballers, so much so that studies are being conducted into whether there is any link between heading a football and dementia in later life. Alan Shearer, who over the course of his career scored 46 goals via headers, took part in one such study as part of his program.

It is unfortunately a fact that 1 in 14 of the over 65’s in the UK today suffer from dementia, this represents 1 in 79 of the UK population as a whole.

Seeing the effect that dementia can have on your loved ones may have spurred you into thinking about what would happen if you were to lose capacity and what you could do to prepare for the possibility.

If you were to lose capacity to make decisions for yourself who would make decisions for you? Who would manage your bills and other finances? If you needed medical treatment who would consent to this on your behalf?

If you are married you may think your spouse will be able to manage your financial affairs and make decisions about your health and personal welfare but this is not the case unless they are formally appointed as your Attorney or as a Deputy.

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that grants a person or persons the power to make decisions on your behalf. Having an LPA in place will save your family a lot of time, distress and money in the event of your loss of capacity.

There are two types of LPA, both of which must be made when you still have capacity. The first type is the Property and Affairs LPA which allows your chosen attorneys to make decisions about your financial affairs and property. The second type of LPA is the Health and Welfare LPA. This covers decisions about your personal welfare and health and can only come into effect after you, the donor, has lost capacity.

Under both types of LPA you choose who to appoint as your Attorneys. This could be your spouse or partner, your children, or anyone else you trust to look after your best interests.

What if you don’t have an LPA? If you lose capacity without any LPA in place, your family or friends would need to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order. This takes significantly longer than registering an LPA. Applications to become a Deputy are handled by the Court and the process is very expensive.  The application fee alone is £400 (at time of writing) and there will be significant ongoing costs.

Contact us for advice and to learn more about making Lasting Powers of Attorney.

Based on an article published by the Society of Will Writers.

Speak Your Mind


How can we help?

Call us today on 01908 866541
or send us an email